I got contacts today, and I can finally see for the first time since second grade without absurdly chunky glasses. It is amazing.
The first thing I had to learn with contacts was how to get the things in without poking myself in the eye like an idiot. It always seemed simple. Until I had to do it. I have to pull my lashes up and out of the way so I don't blink on my contact, then do the same with my middle finger on my bottom lash. Next I have to gently push the contact onto my eye with my index finger. Without flattening it, ripping it, breaking it, or getting my finger stuck in my eye.
It also seems way too easy to put in the contact upside down. The only way to tell is to look for some minuscule, almost transparent numbers on the outside of the tiny little bowl, or look if there is a tiny flare on the outside of our bowl. I'll never put it in right side up every single time. It also feels like being stabbed with steak knives if you do happen to put them in wrong.
It is also important to clean the lenses every day, since they are now practically my eyes. It reminds me of the Greek myth about the three sisters with only one eye between the three of them. My doctor gave me a long lecture about how it can't touch water, how it has to stay in the solution for at least six hours, how 'easy' it is to put it in and take it out, how your hands and everything used in going near the contacts has to be as clean as possible, and how to toss the things the second the two week deadline hits.
Oh, yeah. Contacts are no problem. Who wants to bet I'll poke myself in the eye, put the contact in backwards, and blink on the thing all in the same time?
Update: I love contacts, and can't imagine relying on glasses again. They have become as natural as breathing and highly recommend this amazing technology to anyone with impaired vision, on any level. I am virtually blind without my beloved contacts now.
1 comment:
Love your post. This totally reminds me of the first time I wore contacts--lasik surgery looks pretty good! Thanks for commenting on my daughter's blog. She was really excited to figure out who you are--she would love you to post about books! I'm so glad you're still blogging! Good luck with the contacts. It will get easier. Soon, it will be like brushing your teeth to just pop them in. --CARRIE
Post a Comment